DIY Water Removal Process Step-By-Step Guide For Homeowners

Whether caused by flooding, storms, burst pipes, or other hidden sources, water damage can cause serious long-term problems for homeowners. Mold proliferation and rotted wood are two issues resulting from untreated water damage.

Often, the first sign of water damage is a musty smell. Soft or spongy walls may also indicate water damage.

Remove the Water

Water damage is a homeowner’s worst nightmare. It can be caused by several things, including flooding, leaking pipes, or even a sewer leak. It is essential to start the cleanup process as soon as possible to prevent further damage and to limit the amount of water that can enter your home.

The first step is to turn off the water supply to any appliances affected by the water. This includes the hot water heater, boiler, and any outdoor fixtures. It is also a good idea to shut off the central water supply so no more water can flow into your home.

Once the water is turned off, begin removing it from the area using buckets and plastic tubs. Once you have removed as much water as possible, use a wet-enabled vacuum cleaner to clear up the remainder. Once most of the water is gone, allow the area to ventilate and dry thoroughly.

Remove the Mold

Mold is a common household problem and is often found on bathroom walls in damp corners where steamy showers can produce moisture. The good news is that if it is limited to a small area, it can be easily removed with bleach and water.

However, if you find that the mold is widespread and continues to grow, you must call in a water removal Flatirons company specializing in mold removal. Mold spores that remain can cause health problems in people and pets.

If the mold is on porous materials, they may need to be thrown away, and you will also need to find a way of controlling moisture in those areas. One way to do this is to spray a mixture of vinegar and water, or baking soda and water, on the affected area. A small amount of tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) can also be added to the solution as it is an antifungal and kills mold.

Dry the Area

Once the flooding has been stopped and structural hazards removed, it is time to dry out the area. This is done using fans and dehumidifiers to hasten water evaporation and prevent further damage to the home.

Delicate items like rugs and upholstered furniture should be dried outside in the sun. Removing any carpet pads that were soaked as well is a good idea. Wallpaper should also be removed, as it absorbs water and promotes mold growth.

Gypsum wallboard found on ceilings and walls should be pulled down and disposed of. It deteriorates and retains toxins after absorbing water, which is unsafe to reuse. Water removal Flatirons experts say mold spores can easily be spread through drywall and insulation. If you want to reuse these items, having them inspected by a professional is best. This will reduce the chance of mold and mildew. It will also help avoid the expense of replacing them.